Skip to content
Toggle Left Side Navigation

FAQs for New Graduate Students

Why Emporia State

Admissions FAQ

Getting Started at ESU

Online Programs


Professional Development

Why Emporia State?

Why should I consider Emporia State University for my graduate education? 
Emporia State University offers you the intimacy and student orientation of a small college while offering the graduate student all the amenities of a large university.  As ESU’s graduate school is primarily a Master’s granting institution, master’s candidates have opportunities to work one-on-one with graduate faculty doing research and teaching that would in larger schools be accorded to doctoral candidates.  Our faculty and staff are outstanding, and extremely student-centered.   Our degree programs are on the leading edge and enjoy excellent reputations.

What degrees does the Graduate School offer?
Emporia State University offers programs in numerous disciplines leading to MA, MACC, MBA, MED, MLS, MM and MS degrees.  We also have an outstanding Specialist in Education (Ed. S.) program, and a cutting-edge Ph.D. in Library and Information Management. 

How can I learn more?
ESU offers an outstanding value in graduate education.  The best way to make an informed decision about something as important as your graduate education is to contact the departmental contact and have a conversation with that person or visit the campus.  Please call us at 1-800-950-GRAD to arrange a visit or complete the online Schedule a Campus Visit form.  We will be happy to help you schedule meetings with key graduate faculty and current students from your intended area of study.  It will be our pleasure to show you first-hand what ESU has to offer!

Applications/Admissions FAQs

What are the entry requirements for ESU’s graduate programs?
Entry requirements will vary by program.  Generally, applicants need to have a bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited college or university, a GPA of not less than 2.5 in the last 60 semester hours of study, or not less than 3.0 for a completed master’s degree in another field.  Some programs require higher GPA’s.  Depending upon the program, an applicant must have satisfactory scores on the entrance examination (GRE, GMAT, MAT etc.) required by the major department.

Probationary admission to the Graduate School is permitted if the student has a grade point average between 2.2 and 2.49 on the last 60 hours of study.  The student must achieve a 3.00 grade point average in his or her first nine semester hours of graduate study.  If the student does not meet this condition, she or he will not be permitted to continue in graduate study.

How do I apply to a graduate degree program?
To apply to the graduate school you will need to complete the graduate application form, submit official transcripts from all universities you have attended, and pay the application fee. Note that some programs have additional requirements. Please check with your major department to find out what, if any, additional information is required. 

What is an official transcript?
An official transcript is one that arrives in the Graduate School in a sealed envelope from the issuing institution or are received through a secure electronic transcript service.

Do I need to submit all of my transcripts?
Graduate School Policy states students must submit official transcripts from all institutions attended.  To prevent delays in the processing of your application, we strongly suggest you request transcripts from ALL institutions attended, including those you attended prior to the institution you obtained your bachelors degree from.

How do I know if I’ve paid the application fee?
Please contact the Graduate School at 620-341-5403/800-950-4723 or via email at to determine if you have previously paid the application fee.

Where do I send my application materials?
Application materials should be mailed to:

  • Graduate School
  • Emporia State University
  • Campus Box 4003
  • 1 Kellogg Circle
  • Emporia KS  66801
  • Faxed to: 620-341-5909 (excluding official transcripts)
  • Emailed to: (Electronic transcripts must be sent from a secure transcript service)

Once I submit my application, what should I expect?
Applications are usually processed by the Graduate School within 24 hours of being received.  Once your application is processed by the Graduate School, a letter is sent to your personal email address with information about your student ID, your Buzzin’ account and ESU email address and your application is forwarded to your major department to inform them of your intentions. 

What is the time frame of my application being processed?
Applications are usually processed by the Graduate School within 24 hours of being received.  Once your application is processed by the Graduate School, a letter is sent to your personal email address with information about your student ID, your Buzzin’ account and ESU email address and your application is forwarded to your major department to inform them of your intentions. 

How do I return to ESU if my student record has become inactive or I am applying to a new program as a returning student?
If your student record is inactive or you are returning to a new program, you will need to complete the appropriate graduate application.

How do I contact my major department?
All departmental contacts are listed on the graduate web site. 

How do I view the status of my application?
To view the status of your application and/or items missing from your admissions checklist, simply login to your Buzzin’ account, click on the Academic Life tab and then on the Graduate Admissions Checklist link. 

How do I apply to more than one program of study?
To apply to more than one program of study, you will need to submit an application for each program to which you would like to apply.

How do I apply to more than 1 graduate program of study?
To apply to more than one graduate program of study, will need to submit an application for each program to which you would like to apply.

Approximately how long does it take to be accepted into my program?
Once your official transcripts are on file with the Graduate School, your major department has the ability to act upon your eligibility.  Please note some departments will not act upon a student’s eligibility until the applicant has completed the departmental admissions requirements.  To contact your major department to discuss the departmental requirements, please contact your department faculty contact.

Must I be working toward a degree to attend classes?
Students wishing to take graduate classes for reasons other than obtaining a degree are welcome.  Non-degree seeking students need not be accepted into a graduate program in order to attend classes.  Students should complete the graduate application form as a non-degree seeking student.  Call us at 620-341-5403/800-950-GRAD or email if you have additional questions.  Please keep in mind that only 12 approved hours earned under this status may be applied to a degree program.  Graduate departments reserve the right to decide whether or not any credit earned in courses enrolled in while a non-degree student will apply towards a degree program, should you decide to pursue one. 

When do classes start?
Emporia State University operates on a 3-semester calendar.  Fall courses begin mid-August and run through mid-December.  Spring courses begin mid –January and run through mid-May.  Summer course begin mid-May and run through mid-August with multiple start dates for courses. Check the academic calendar for the exact starting date of classes.

Getting Started at ESU

How do I get my campus id (Hornet Card)?

If you are an on-campus student, you can get your Hornet Card by going over to the Memorial Union ID Office.  If you are a distance student, you can receive your Hornet Card by contacting the Memorial Union ID Office at 620-341-5901.

How do I get my laptop or desktop computer configured for wireless system on ESU campus?

Information Technology is the office that provides all assistance for student computing.  Go to the  IT Website for more information. 

Where do I get my textbooks?

You can purchase all of your textbooks from the Memorial Union Bookstore.  You can also order your textbooks online at ESU MU Bookstore.

Where and how can I pay my tuition and fees?

You can pay your tuition and fees directly through your Buzzin account or by going to the Cashier's Office on 1st Floor of Plumb Hall.  You can pay your tuition and fees using cash, check, Master Card, Discover (there is a surcharge on credit card payments) and installment payment plans.  We do not accept Visa for tuition and fee payment. 

Distance Education

Do I have to take classes on campus, or are there “distance learning” options?
Courses offered through the Office of  Distance Education at Emporia State University provide educational opportunities for students in alternate formats, at off-campus sites and via mediated delivery systems.  Students do not need to be admitted to a graduate degree program at ESU to take courses offered through Distance Education; however, students who plan to seek admission to a graduate degree program are encouraged to apply no later than the second semester of enrollment.  Please note that some courses are limited to students who are pursuing a graduate degree program.  Call Distance Education at 1-877-332-4249 or check out our website for more information.

How will I pay for my education?

Are Graduate Assistantships available to help pay for my graduate degree?
ESU offers numerous graduate assistantships to master's/doctoral seeking students.  All full-time graduate assistants receive a stipend and tuition waiver.  “Full-time” (20 hours per week) graduate teaching and research assistants are eligible for low-cost health insurance, a portion of the premium is paid by the university. Graduate applications can be found at the GRADUATE ASSISTANT APPLICATION Link

Are there Graduate Scholarships

The Graduate School has several scholarships for which graduate students can apply.  Go to GRADUATE SCHOLARSHIP Link for more information.

What about student loans?
ESU has an outstanding Financial Aid Office.  Staff there can help you identify a number of financing opportunities.  Ask your major department about scholarships that may be available.

What about part-time or internship work opportunities?
A number of opportunities for part-time or full-time work (other than assistantships) are available either through ESU or in the city of Emporia.  While many internship positions are non-paid, there are some that do pay a salary or stipend.  The best source of information about internships in your field is your specific major department office.

Are there opportunities for professional development?

Are there opportunities to attend professional conferences or seminars?
We strongly encourage students to attend conferences and seminars related to their professional fields.  So far this academic year, graduate students have attended conferences all over the United States and abroad, including England and Bulgaria.  Fund to help offset travel and conference fees are provided jointly or individually by the department, the school, and the Graduate School.

Are there opportunities for research?
The Research and Grants Office provides graduate students the opportunity to write a grant to help support their research. Deadlines for proposals are very specific. Proposals submitted after the deadline will not be considered. Students must complete the application form and follow the application guidelines to be considered for a grant.

Couldn't find what you were looking for? Please feel free to call the Graduate Office at 1-800-950-GRAD.  We look forward to talking with you!

Facebook Icon Follow ESU_GradSchool on Twitter LinkedIn Icon