All ESU distance students are eligible to take advantage of Writing Center services through Zoom videoconferencing sessions.
Please note that Zoom sessions are limited, and students are accommodated on a first-come, first-served basis. Plan ahead if you are required to meet with a writing partner.
Some of what to expect in a Zoom session
Just as in a face-to-face session, students will meet with a trained and experienced writing partner to help identify and meet their most pressing writing need. As each session will address only one specific issue, some writing sessions may only take 10 minutes while others may last 45 minutes for lengthier papers and projects, so when scheduling, please plan accordingly.
Note: Please also be prepared to share assignment guidelines to help ensure quality assistance.
Some of the things we often examine include the "larger" issues:
- approach to meeting requirements of the assignment
- overall organization of the essay (letter, report, etc.)
- strength of the thesis and topic sentences
- development of content (thoroughness, completeness)
- documentation of source material
- clarity and precision of expression.
Some of the "smaller" concerns are:
- mechanics (punctuation and spelling).
If you haven't activated your student account:
- Go to https://emporiastate.zoom.us and sign up for a free account (use the option in the upper right). I suggest using your professional email (not the one with the g).
- You will have to check your email and activate your account.
- Set username and password to continue, if necessary.
- At some point, you may have to download software. Do so when prompted. You will need to access the app when starting your first meeting.
- On the home screen, at the top right, you will see a link called “Host a Meeting.” You will choose this with the dropdown choice of “Start with a video.”
- Let Zoom access all your video and microphone stuff.
- What happens in here varies, depending on your browser, computer, and the whims of technology, but you should be set to start!
Never Zoomed? Start here to make an appointment!
When it is time for the Zoom meeting, a writing partner will host the meeting and you will receive an email with a link to join. It’s that easy! During the meeting, the writing partner will open your text, share her or his screen with you, and you both will be able to view and discuss the text in real time.
Writing Center hours of operation
ESU’s Writing Center is available for Zoom sessions:
Zoom sessions are not available over breaks, when the university is closed, or during non-regular business hours.